There are many different ways to save on energy costs. Below is a list in order of things you can do straight away with minimal cost to those that require more time and investment into upgrades. Remember that things should only be replaced if the energy saving outweighs the initial investment or if broken.
The biggest mantra in energy saving is ‘Want not Waste Not’ . This simply means switching of things that are not needed.
- Set your heating schedules and controls correctly. If you don’t have controls make sure to install basic controls ie programmer and room thermostat. The lower the room thermostat the more the savings. Try to wear warmer clothes.
- Turn off or reduce TRV temperatures in rooms that are not being used. It is advisable to switch these on a regular basis so that things do not seize up.
- If your boiler supports modulating controls, these can save extra energy and produce more comfort levels compare to standard controls.
- Make sure your boiler flow temperatures and power rating if adjustable are correctly set.
- Making sure your boiler and heating system is clean will increase efficiency and reduce maintenance costs. Keeping a system clean is one of the most important things that can be done. Make sure inhibitor levels are always correct.
- Finding a energy supplier with the best tariff is another simple way of reducing your heating bills.